Karystos has a lot of good design with wide streets and squares that were made on the basis of a design and upon the order of King Othon by the Bavarian engineer Mirbach. For this reason and in honor of Othon, the town received the name "Othonopolis" in 1848, which was renamed Karystos after the rebellion in 1862. It is one of the first cities of Greece to have acquired a spiritual center with a lecture hall, a library and a museum. Thanks to the combination of mountain and sea, Karystos is now a tourist center with lively traffic especially in the summer.
The coastline of Karystos offers countless beaches,
organized or not, covering all tastes.
The beaches closest to Karystos is the "Galida" and cosmopolitan "Psili Ammos" (Koxyli) - are two sandy and organized beaches.. Other popular beaches are "Kavos", which is also offered for water sports, " Bourou-Karystos", "Agia Paraskevi" and "Paximada" beach.
Hotel Galaxy proposes the beach of "Psili Ammos", is about half a kilometer from the hotel and one of the most famous of our Region, has been attracting youth for many years due to the well-known Beach Bar "Koxyli" that gives it a cosmopolitan air. The beach is organized with umbrellas and deck chairs, the coast is full of fine sand (from there the name), sown almost all over the surface, the bottom is sandy with very few rocks in some places, while the water is usually warm, calm and shallow, making "Psili Ammos" a good choice for children and families.
The DikelasDive Center is a family run business. It is a certified diving center Padi since 2007. It has been a fishing and diving equipment shop since 1998. Kyriakos Dikelas (Padi DM # 645024 #) and his wife Thalia Nikitopoulou (PadiMasterScubaDiverTrainer # 644195 #) will take you safely to the secrets of the underwater world of South Evia.
EXCURSIONS SCUBA / SNORKELING
Navigate our boat to the enchanting waters of the South Evian. He discovered snorkeling-surface swimming with mask and snorkel the turquoise waters of Petalioi, the wild beauty of Archapolis, Andros or Tzia
AUTONOMOUS SCUBA DIVING
The safe and clear waters of Southern Euboikos can offer you the best diving experiences. Because of the morphology of the area, no weather prevents us from diving. Between about 28 diving points there is definitely a DiveSite that will host our passion for diving.
Bourtzi of Karystos
Bourtzi Castle (Fortress) is located on the main coastal road of Karystos. It is a Venetian building of 1350 AD.
It is a two-storied hexagonal shape with many curtains and 24 door booths. One of the major attractions in the tourist, cultural routes in the area. Saves whole. For its construction, the Venetians used (unfortunately) as building materials the marble pieces of the Roman Mausoleum, which is at the center of the market (in Hebrew). The fortress during the summer months is available from the Byzantine Antiquities Directorate for the exhibition of works of artists (mainly) of Karystos and South Evia.
It is 500 meters from the hotel
The Archaeological Museum of Karystos is housed in the west wing of the Giokaleio Spiritual Foundation, a bequest of the benefactor Nikolaou Giokalas. It was built in 1959 at Maximilianos Square in Karystos. It includes rooms of the Archaeological Museum (1988), theater, library.The local tax office of Antiquities organizes guided tours at the Museum, while the Theater and the Library operate under the supervision of the Municipality of Karystos. The west wing of the Giokalio Spiritual Foundation was granted according to the terms of the will of N. Giokala in 1980 to the Ministry of Culture for the creation of an Archaeological Museum. The IA tax office of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities formed the space granted and inaugurated the Karystos Museum in 1989, presenting the findings of the area for the first time to the general public.
Is next to Bourtzi Castle.
Red Castle is located on a hill above Mylous. Thanks to its volume and its built position, it dominates the whole area. The place that is built has plenty of plane trees and running waters, necessary for the survival of the castle in case of siege. The fort was built in 1030 AD. from the Lombards, immediately after the island's occupation by the Franks. The castle, due to its techniques, but also its natural fortifications, was impregnable. The first man to succeed was Knight Likarios in 1276, on behalf of the Byzantines. In 1295, however, it was captured by the Catalans, who sold it, along with the city of Karystos, to the Venetians. The double arched central gate of the castle is invisible outside due to a low wall that protects it. In the castle are still standing the ramparts of the second interior of the castle. In the background of the castle there is the chapel of Prophet Elias, where underneath there is still the reservoir with water, where it was used in a siege.